Roots Out is a community project that aspires to kick start an urban farming movement in a particularly deprived area of Nottingham. Local people (including families and kids) living on the surrounding council estate will have access to the tools, skills, and support needed for growing nutritious food at home. Roots Out aim to improve access to nutrition, encourage mental wellbeing and promote environmental sustainability.
The team is mostly made up of recent or soon-to-be graduates of the University of Nottingham. We have biologists, ecologists, psychologists, engineers and photographers each with a wide range of skills and interests. We are also fortunate enough to have a number of local residents, mentors, and organisations on board.
About your role
We are currently preparing the garden for large scale food production, social eating events and ‘farm to fork’ courses- any help you are able to offer design, setting up and managing the site would be greatly appreciated! The roles are wide-ranging and variable depending on the day, season and what the volunteers want to do. The tasks will vary from planting, de-weeding, painting, raking, watering, tidying and planting seeds to helping design the garden, organising events or managing social media. The role is really what you make it, everyone is welcome!
We offer volunteers basic gardening/ landscaping training, experience working on a social enterprise, fresh air, BBQ food, teas, coffees, conversation and can cover the cost of transport.
Come along as often as you want - You can come along to one session or go every week! Sessions take place on Thursdays and Saturdays between 9.30am - 3pm.
How to find us
Roots Out is located at the Allotment site behind 182 Grindon Crescent, Bulwell, Nottingham. This is easily accessed by public transport. Travel expenses will be reimbursed to volunteers.
1) Click on the 'Register Your Interest' button and fill out the form.
2) SU Volunteering will send you instructions on the next steps to get involved.
3) Roots Out will invite volunteers to join in on one of the sessions and may contact you for a quick chat before you start. They will be sure to keep you updated with their upcoming volunteering sessions and activities.
We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for a volunteer to gain:
- Experience of volunteering within a small, dedicated team of people for a sustainable community project.
- Have the opportunity to be creative and truly add to the project (e.g. suggest landscaping ideas, painting) or managing social media.
- Recognition for volunteering, including references (when appropriate) for future employers.
Make sure you wear suitable clothing and footwear for being outdoors.