POhWER is a national charity providing information, advocacy and advice services across England, enabling the voices of those who are struggling to be heard, empowering them to express their views and access various information and services.
About your role
POhWER Advocacy are looking for organised, empathetic, supportive volunteers with good communication skills to support POhWER with arranging and delivering Peer advocacy groups across Nottinghamshire.
The purpose of these Peer advocacy groups is to address mental health issues affecting individuals and the community through peer advocacy and signposting. Their goal is to develop self-advocacy skills so that people are able to get their voice heard. The volunteers role will be to organise venue, advertise and take part in discussions and learning sessions, making referrals for statutory advocacy where possible and help shape future sessions for the group.
The support groups will take place once a month in your local area.
This is a really great opportuniy for students interested in subjects like mental health, social care, counselling and psychology.
Whilst giving advice to others may sound like a daunting prospect – we promise you won’t be thrown in the deep end! All volunteers shadow a qualified, trained member of staff for 6 weeks before they take on their own, low-level cases.
POhWER would like volunteers to commit to a minimum of around 5 hours each month on weekdays between the hours of 9am – 5pm.
How to find us
- Click the 'Register Your Interest' button below.
- Someone from the Students' Union Volunteering Team will be in touch, and will give you an application form to complete.
- You'll be invited into POhWER for an informal chat.
- Once you, and the organisation are happy, your induction process can begin!
- Full training on the organisation, advocacy and safeguarding is given.
- You will shadow a paid member of staff for your initial 6 weeks.
- A DBS check is required for this role - the charity will absorb the cost of this.
- Regular volunteer supervision and additional training will be offered to you.