POhWER is a national charity providing information, advocacy and advice services across England, enabling the voices of those who are struggling to be heard, empowering them to express their views and access various information and services.
Volunteer Advocate - As a volunteer advocate with POhWER you would be working either 1:1 or in small groups to offer low level advocacy support to service users on a wide range of issues, listening to their concerns and issues, providing them with different options, and escalating the problems when client permission has been gained.
Peer Advocate – This role is similar to a volunteer advocate, but with a specific focus on mental health. It is an opportunity for anyone who has used mental health services themselves to volunteer, and support others who are currently using mental health services, giving them a voice to express views on their care and treatment.
Citizen Advocate – This role is similar to a volunteer advocate, but focuses specifically on supporting those who find it difficult to get information and have their voices heard due to disability. You would be helping to empower clients so that they can have a say, and be involved in the shaping of their own lives.
Whilst giving advice to others may sound like a daunting prospect – we promise you won’t be thrown in the deep end! All volunteers shadow a qualified, trained member of staff for 6 weeks before they take on their own, low-level cases.
POhWER would like volunteers to commit to a minimum of 4 hours each week on weekdays between the hours of 9am – 5pm.
- Click the 'Register Your Interest' button below.
- Emma from the Students' Union Volunteering Team will be in touch, and will give you an application form to complete.
- You'll be invited into POhWER for an informal interview.
- Once you, and the organisation are happy, your induction process can begin!
- Full training on the organisation, advocacy and safeguarding is given.
- You will shadow a paid member of staff for your initial 6 weeks.
- A DBS check is required for this role - the charity will absorb the cost of this.
- Regular volunteer supervision and additional training will be offered to you.