The University of Nottingham Rugby Union Club (Men's)
Welcome to the University of Nottingham Rugby Union Club's SU Page.
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/uofnottinghamrugby
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/_unruc
Email us directly: email@example.com (Lawrence Davies - President) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Paul Westgate - DoR)
In 2019/20, the University of Nottingham Rugby Club will be represented by five sides made up of returning players from last season, a well-recruited class of freshers and those freshers who come through our trials.
Our 1st XV side currently compete in the BUCS Premiership A (North) League against some of the best University sides in the country, including Durham, Loughborough, Leeds and Edinburgh, whilst our three other BUCS teams compete against some of the most competitive University sides in their respective leagues across the country. Our 5th XV play in the competitive UoN IMS league against other societies and hall's teams.
Throughout the club, we maintain a culture and attitude which we pride ourselves on, we call this the UNRUC Way. All sides train seriously and professionally three times a week as a minimum and compete on Wednesday’s afternoon.
However, when the final whistles sounds, we ensure that we celebrate and socialise as a collective (ONERUC), enjoying off-field activities with players who competed, those not selected, injured players and those who are simply part of the club to train and enjoy the club environment.
Recently, we have had numerous representative honours throughout the Club:
- Connor Field was capped for England Counties 20s on their successful tour to Georgia
- Josh Grimes was selected to play for Wasps 1st XV in the LV Cup. Josh also played for Wasps A alongside Josh Nott.
- Connor Field and outgoing 1st XV Captain, Tom Allott, successfully represented Yorkshire at Twickenham in the U20 County Championship Final, beating Cornwall.
- Marcus Sotiriou was capped for the Cyprus 1st XV winning their Europe Conference 2 and will now play in Rugby Conference 1 South.
- Rafael Dutta represented Germany in the Dubai International Invitational 7s. He also was capped at 1st XV level as well, facing Chile and Romania.
- Hugo Kelleway also represented Germany in 7s.
The Rugby Union Club at Nottingham prides itself on appealing to players from all ages and abilities. With an impressive coaching setup, including our full-time Director of Rugby, Paul Westgate, and improved facilities on campus.
We welcome anyone and everyone who is keen to work hard and be part of an aspiring, growing and proud rugby club setup.
- 1st XV - BUCS Premier North A (3rd Place in 2018/19, BUCS National Vase Quarter-Finalists)
- 2nd XV - BUCS Midlands 2B (2nd Place in 2018/19, BUCS Midlands Conf. Cup Quarter-Finalists)
- 3rd XV - BUCS Midlands 2A (2nd Place in 2018/19, BUCS Midlands Conf. Cup Quarter-Finalists)
- 4th XV - BUCS Midlands 3B (Champions in 2018/19, BUCS Midlands Conf. Cup Last 32)
- 5th XV - University of Nottingham IMS League (2nd place in 2018/19)
- NB. The 2nd XV and 3rd XV play in leagues that are parallel to each other.
The club boasts the use of a 3G rubber crumb pitch on University Park for training, along with the use of the University's new facilities at the David Ross Sports Village. Home matches are played at Highfields just over the road from University Park Campus with additional pitches based at the Riverside Sports Complex.
All teams train three times a week. Training will take place at our University Park 3G rubber crumb facility during the week and at Highfields on Saturdays for those selected.
Please see the University of Nottingham Rugby Union Club website and this season's Facebook group for further details.
- Sports Centre Membership: £209 (All club members require membership for the use of the 3G, HPZ, Rehab centre, and gym)
- Rugby Club Membership: tbc
- Kit: Players are expected to have UoN kit for matchdays. The Club stocks an inventory of training and match kit. A guide on how to order kit from the Club will be given to Club members at the start of the season.
Committee & Captains:
||Vice-President & VPW Rep (Alumni)
||Kit & Equipment Secretary
||Social Media Officer
||Charity & Sponsorship Secretary
||1st XV Captain
||2nd XV Captain
||3rd XV Captain
||4th XV Captain
|Hugo Hiu Chun Sau
||5th XV Captain
The club traditionally holds a weekly social on Wednesday evening after our fixtures, providing the opportunity for all players to meet, socialise and enjoy a few drinks after the day’s games. The socials are run by our social secretaries that pride themselves on making each social as exciting, original and appealing to as many people as possible each week.
The club also holds various socials outside a Wednesday evening format, including our famous annual Club Dinners. Details of all our social events will be displayed through the clubs Facebook page and Twitter pages.
Trials for the 2019/20 are being reorganised and restructured to ensure each player has as fair a chance as any player of making the University Rugby Club.
First years wishing to join the club and anyone looking to try for the rugby club for the first time will need to trial on (Time, date & location tbc). All those who are interested must sign up at the Freshers' Sports Fair during Freshers' Week.
Remember that there are still some fantastic opportunities for students to play rugby at Nottingham outside our BUCS sides. Through our fantastic IMS Rugby programme and UoN Engage initiatives, there is an opportunity for everyone at Nottingham to learn, play and enjoy rugby throughout their time here.
UoN Engage: Touch Rugby is held every Sunday at 12:30 - 1:30 pm at the Jubliee Campus 3G and is open to everyone - member of the club or not!