Women's Engineering Society (WES)
We are a student led group, that is fully affiliated with the professional organisation Women’s Engineering Society (WES), based within the University of Nottingham. As a society we aim to:
- Create a community of female engineers across all engineering disciplines and related STEM sectors at the University of Nottingham.
- Promote women in the engineering industry, support women who have already chosen a career in engineering and encourage girls to consider studying engineering at a higher level.
- Organise social and professional settings so that our members have the opportunity to make contacts with their peers and network with industry sponsors.
- Host fantastic careers events throughout the year, working directly with the Engineering department to make sure our members are always the first ones to hear about the latest sponsorships, days out in industry, workshops and career opportunities to ensure that you stand out from the other applicants.
Diversity is important!
The gender disparity is visible within our own lecture theatres and just 12% of engineers in the engineering industry are female. By creating a community of female engineers, we can open up the conversation about why we need more women in the engineering workforce, particularly in higher level roles and how we can support them.
To find out more visit: https://www.engineeringuk.com/media/1691/gender-disparity-in-engineering.pdf
Why should you join?
There are many benefits of being a member of the Women’s Engineering Society…
- Whether you’re in first year, or doing a PhD you will be creating important networks and developing skills, that will prepare you for the next chapter of your life. From making friends from different countries to advice on choosing optional modules, placements and graduate roles.
- We also hold events for our members where they can get some exciting and hands-on team building experiences.
- We work with numerous sponsors, schools, and companies to make sure you are up-to-date with the latest competitions, scholarships, volunteering activities and workshops.
- Whether it’s something personal or academic, we’ll be sure to help you or put you on the right track to someone who can.
Not a Woman?
We actively encourage male members to join as not only will they benefit from the activities listed above, but it is important to have male voices involved in the movement towards gender equality in the workplace.
Follow us on social media
Make sure to join as a member through the SU website as information for the above events will be sent to members only.
Membership is only £2!