On Thursday 17 January, Jacob Collier, your SU Community Officer, and SU Advice Welfare Advisers met with Purple Frog’s management to raise student concerns directly with them. This followed complaints to SU Advice and comments raised by students on various social media sites. A number of common themes were identified and the SU put these forward to Purple Frog for response. This is another example of how your SU and SU Advice support students.
Jacob Collier said: “Following a large number of complaints we received from students relating to Purple Frog over their deposit returns process and deductions, I wrote to the company’s Managing Director asking for action to be taken to address these issues and improve students’ experiences of renting from them.”
We were pleased to meet with Patrick Garratt, Managing Director, and Aaron Kurtis, Head of Lettings and Property Management, in person. The meeting was very positive with Purple Frog confirming their commitment to take steps to address student complaints and improve their processes. Purple Frog also gave assurances regarding staffing numbers and training. We will continue to engage with Purple Frog and raise any concerns should they arise.
Purple Frog agreed to:
- send deposit statements in plenty of time, even if tenants have not provided evidence of finalised bills
- update their team training so Nottingham tenants aren’t asked to send council tax exemption information to Purple Frog
- make it clearer as to how to dispute deposit deductions, including using third party arbitration (deposit scheme dispute process)
- review a clause in their check-out document that your SU raised concerns about
- reduce delays by ensuring they have more staff in the deposit return team
Patrick Garratt, Managing Director of Purple Frog said: “The meeting was very productive. We’re pleased to say that we’ve made several changes to solve the issues that some students had this year.”
You can read the full statement from Purple Frog here.
Ongoing cases are being supported and monitored by your SU Advice; if you have an outstanding deposit payment from last year, please get in touch. If you have any issues related to housing in general, you can book an appointment with SU Advice via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) telephone (0115 846 8730) or in person (C Floor, Portland Building).