Trusts & Charities

You are here: Home >

Trusts & Charities

If you are struggling financially, you should contact Students' Union Advice to see if there are any sources of financial assistance you could apply for.

There may also be additional charitable funding for your education or training for which you may be eligible to apply. Most trusts and charities have very specific criteria, such as age, residency or religion, that you must meet in order to receive their help and competition can be fierce.

Where to look

There are a number of different places where you could look for such assistance:

  • The Educational Grants Services (EGS) – complete the educational grants search questionnaire to see if you are eligible to apply for any of the trusts that assist students on their database.

  •  Hotcourses scholarship search

  • The University’s Careers and Employability Service also has some useful information on their website.

You might find the following books useful:

  • Educational Grants Directory (published by the Directory of Social Change)

  • The Charities Digest (published by Family Welfare Enterprises Ltd)

  • The Grants Register (published by Macmillan) – available in the CCD

How to apply

Once you have identified a potential trust or charity that may be able to assist you, you need to find out more information. Many have set deadlines and application procedures, so you need to establish whether you are within any deadlines and how to apply. If in doubt, the best thing to do is to write to the organisation with some brief details of your situation. If you fit their criteria, they will advise you on how to apply – often by sending you their application form. You may have to get a supporting letter from, for example, your personal tutor.


Education Grants Services – information on applying to trusts and charities.