The Allotment Society was established in 2011 thanks to funds donated generously by SB alumni /OKA. About time too, considering that this campus is the best place in the country to undertake an agricultural degree and has led agricultural sciences for over 100 years. There have not been allotments on campus since the 1950’s, so creating a large allotment site on this campus is very exciting. This year also marks the 100th anniversary of Agrimag, so 2011 will be the year that students can once again pick up some tools (like the ones on the SB crest) and work the land. The plot was acquired from estates by the Guild with Seb d’Agar, the Guild Chair, working very hard in securing the site. The AGM was held soon after and the first committee set up. Work began in creating the allotment site in May and continues, however some people have already started growing fruit and vegetables on the allotment site. The committee look forward to welcoming the students back in September and signing up the first bunch of official members so that work can really start on the site and hopefully next year there will be a bumper crop of SB grown produce! In the long term it is hoped that excess produce can be sold or traded at the Farmer’s markets on campus. Thanks must go to Wickes in Nottingham for the donation of 3 spades, 3 forks, 2 hoes, 2 rakes and a watering can!
President of Allotment Soc 2011/2012